Apr 17, 2007

Day 101

"what makes me, me"
finding my Birthmother...
These are momentos from finding my birthmother and our first contacts. I was adopted at birth and went to live with my adoptive parents at 3 days old. In these momentos I have copies of our emails we exchanges, cards (the big cut-out "thank you" she gave to my mom) and the photocopies I made at her high school from her yearbook year when I was searching for her. Seeing those photos made me cry because when I saw her face...I knew I had found my birthmom. We looked so much alike. I found her in May of 2002 after searching for her for over 10 years.

11 comments:

Sher Johnson said...

OMG 10 YEARS...I never knew that Maggie!!!!
what triggered you to search?

Maggie said...

I started searching right after I turned 18. :) Several private detectives, money, dead ends and phone calls later it was a last minute whim to check on classmates.com that led me to her. (well, that and some creative lying to an office administrator at a local high school to get her to photocopy the yearbook pages for me.) hehehe. :D

Sher Johnson said...

love the creative lying part...

when i gave birth to my firstborn it hit me like a ton of bricks...the only blood relative i had ever seen with my own eyes.

Heather said...

Wow Maggie! How wonderful that you found her after such a long search! Your picture gave me chills!

Jess said...

Like Heather, I got goosebumps when I saw your blog today...thank you for sharing!

Maggie said...

Thanks everyone. Yes, it was QUITE an emotional journey, as was the reunion. We still talk, which is nice.

Anonymous said...

wow! I love that cutout! and that was a really sweet thing to do.

reany365 said...

Awesome collage. It says to much in one photo.

Tanya said...

Beautiful. So glad you found your birthmom

Amanda said...

LOVE it. How absolutely amazing. I got chills thinking of you doing this. What a great picture for the theme.

Holly said...

Wow! What a story. Thanks for sharing. And you captured it all in that photo is such a great way.