Mar 31, 2007

Day 84 (end of week 12)

More local landmarks
~~~~-~~~~
The wind farm in Rio Vista (about 20 miles from our house). These windmills produce enough electricity to power 700,000 homes. There are about 700 of them in these leased farm area. The blades measure about 80 feet in length; the towers between 350-400 ft tall.

Interesting side note: This area of the wind farm was built in 2003. When Ian was born and in the NICU, every day we drove to Sacramento to see him and everyday we passed 3 semi trailers each hauling one blade of these windmills.
We always passed the semis on the same stretch of road at the same time of day for 6 weeks.
In the next town, Fairfield (about 10 minutes from our house), is the Budweiser Brewery. I went their for a field trip when I was in Catholic school in the 5th grade (great kids outing huh?).

Visiting hours were over so I had to do some traversing to get these pics. Covert stuff. lol.


You know someone tried to climb it....

Trust me....this looks way cooler at night. It's parallel to I-80.

Buh-bye now!

Right across the way from Budweiser is.....
.....................................................
The Jelly Belly Factory!!
I've accompanied Em on a field trip here and have toured it myself. You do NOT want to tour when they're in production (making candy). The sweet smell is so overwhelming it's sickening.
All decked out for Easter!


The bean mobile...how thrilled does Em look? We actually do see this car driving around town.

I'd drive it!

3 comments:

Heather said...

Wow Maggie the coloring in the wind farm pictures is absolutely stunning. I really love those!

Sara D. said...

I was out in your neighborhood quite a few years ago(class at Travis AFB), bring back memories for me! We went to the Jelly Belly factory...yum!!!! I love seeing the shots of downtown Vacaville, it's such a beautiful area!

reany365 said...

These are great. I almost feel like I am there.