Aug 16, 2009

when cake pops go bad...

so....silly me, after keeping up on Bakerellas most awesome
blog, I thought I'd give her cake pops a try.

I made a red-velvet cake. Popped it out and mushed it up with
some cream cheese frosting.


Now when Bakerella says things get messy at this point, she is NOT kidding.
There wasn't a spot on my counter untouched, smeared or globbed with red velvet
cake/ frosting mix. Lemme tell ya...not easy to wipe up either!

So I rolled out (at least) 50 lovely cake/ frosting balls. Pretty easy
although I had to keep washing my hands as the layers of cake/ frosting
mixture kept building up.

Then it was time do do the dip. Into white chocolate of course.
um...forgot one little thing whilst in Michaels. Styrofoam.

Fudgesicles!
Well, they do say necessity IS the mother of invention, right??
I grabbed a collander and stuffed those cake pops in there. Sure they
looked like a chaotic mess and utterly ridiculous BUT it worked!

It was while dipping these cake balls into the white chocolate that I had a few realizations.

1. Bakerella ROCKS. Seriously. Give this woman some serious credit because SHE
makes this look WAY easier than it is. It is not easy. Well, easy to screw up but luckily
I had a famished 6 year old hovering around me waiting for the screw ups to happen and
happen they did. Many times.

2. When things go so far south that they're almost north...rethink your plan. That's when the sprinkles came into play. When I ran out of sprinkles and patience I yanked off the
lollipop sticks and came up with plan B.


TA-DA!! Aren't they cute? They're really, REALLY yummy too.


Sure, I'll give these a go again..once I've recovered from this episode worthy of "I Love Lucy"
but in the meantime my son, daughter and hubby are sacrificing themselves to eat all
these yummy mistakes.

Aren't they wonderful?